David C. Dunbar
Mr. Dunbar was selected by his peers to be included in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America™ for his work in Transportation Law, Legal Malpractice Law, Medical Malpractice Law, and Personal Injury Litigation. Dunbar was also selected Lawyer of the Year in Mississippi for Transportation Law. He has been included in Best Lawyers every year since 2011.
David Dunbar’s practice focuses on commercial trucking accidents, professional errors and omissions, insurance, products liability, personal injury, premises liability, medical malpractice, bicycle accidents and commercial litigation. He is admitted to practice in Mississippi and Georgia. David C. Dunbar is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Mr. Dunbar is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Dunbar received his B.A. in history in 1982 from Emory University where he was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa. He received his J.D. in 1985 from the University of Georgia where he served on the editorial staff of the Georgia Law Review. He is a member of the Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel, American College of Transportation Attorneys, the Trucking Industry Defense Association, the Transportation Lawyers Association, the Mississippi Trucking Association, and the Defense Research Institute.
Mr. Dunbar is an approved mediator for State and Federal trial courts and has successfully completed the Harvard Law School Mediation Workshop. He served as a commissioner for the State of Mississippi to the National Conference of Uniform State Law Commissioners (1996- 2000) and served on the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act for the Uniform Law Commission.
Mr. Dunbar has served as the firm’s managing partner since its inception.
Phone: (601) 898-2073 (Ext. 201)
Fax: (601) 898-2074
Areas of Practice
Trucking Accidents, Transportation Law, Commercial Trucking, Professional Errors and Omissions, Products Defense, Premises Liability, Commercial Litigation, Products Liability, Premises Liability, Personal Injury, Freight Claims, Medical Malpractice, Legal Malpractice, Insurance, Bicycle Accidents.
Approved Mediator for the State and Federal Courts, Harvard Law School Mediation Workshop
U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 1985
U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 1985
U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia, 1985 J.D.
Law Review: Georgia Law Review, Editorial Staff
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1982
B.A. Major: History
“COBRA’S Anti-Dumping Provisions: Fertile Ground for Hospital and Physician Liability,” Journal of the Mississippi State Medical Association, Vol. 31-No. 3 (March), 1990
“Who’s the Boss? Addressing the Increasing Controversies Associated with the Owner-Operator/Employee Dichotomy,” Transportation Law Journal, Vol. 25, Number 2, 2008
Malsch v. Vertex Aerospace, LLC, 361 F.Supp. 2d 583 (S.D. Miss. 2005)
Tidwell v. Homestar Real Estate Services, 290 F.Supp. 2d 729 (S.D. Miss. 2003)
Ott v. Consolidated Freightways Corp., 213 F.Supp.2d 662 (S.D. Miss. 2002)
Johnson v. Great American Ins. Co., 213 F.Supp.2d 657 (S.D. Miss. 2001)
Roebuck v. City of Aberdeen, 671 So. 2d 49 (Miss. 1996)
Harvey v. Bounds, 588 So. 2d 845 (Miss. 1995)
Bumgarner v. Carlisle Medical, Inc., 809 F.Supp. 461 (S.D. Miss. 1993)
Quick Change Oil and Lubrication Co., Inc., 571 So. 2d 968 (Miss. 1990)
Kight v. Sheppard Bldg. Supply, Inc., 537 So.2d 1355 (Miss. 1989)
Baker & McKenzie, LLP, and Joel Held vs. S. Lavon Evans, Jr., Laredo Energy Holdings, LLC, S. Lavon Evans Operating Texas, LLC, S. Lavon Evans Jr. Operating Company, Inc., S. Lavon Evans Drilling Ventures, LLC, E&D Service, Inc., and E & D Drilling Services, LLC; Sup Ct. No. 2011-CA-00110-SCT; (10/17/2013)
Gary Littlejohn and Patricia Littlejohn, as Co-Administrators of the Estate of Christopher Littlejohn, Deceased vs. Werner Enterprises, Inc. and Clive Carvey; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi, Aberdeen Division; Civil Action No. 1:14-cv-44-SA-DAS
- “Answering the Midnight Call: Top Ten Action Items for a Lawyer to Know and Do to Immediately React to a Catastrophic Motor Vehicle Accident,” Transportation Lawyers Association, November 30, 2010 – Present
- “Dealing with the Impossible Judge”; ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference; Speaker; April 29, 2016
- “Handling the Hostile Forum”; ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference; Speaker; April 29, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Transportation Attorneys
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, 1985 – Present Member
- American Bar Association, Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Charles Clark American Inns of Court
- Defense Research Institute
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association, 1985 – Present Member
- Mississippi Trucking Association
- American Trucking Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- State of Mississippi Commissioner to the National Conference of Uniform State Law Commissioners, 1996 – 2000 Commissioner
- Uniform Mediation Act for the Uniform Law Commission Drafting Committee
Omicron Delta Kappa
Phi Alpha Theta