Experience. Reputation. Results.
Matthew E. Rutherford, Jr.
- Insurance Defense
- Trucking Accidents
- Transportation Law
- Premises Liability
- Personal Injury
- Professional Malpractice
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- General Business Law
Matthew (Matt) E. Rutherford, Jr. is an AV-rated insurance defense attorney, focusing on transportation, premises liability, UM/UIM, insurance coverage, and general insurance defense. Matt is admitted to practice before all state courts in Mississippi, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Matt received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History in 2008 from the University of Mississippi and his Doctor of Jurisprudence in 2013 from Mississippi College School of Law. He was admitted to the Mississippi Bar in 2013 and has been recognized as a Rising Star by Mid-South Super Lawyers in the areas of Transportation/Maritime, Civil Litigation: Defense, and Insurance Coverage every year since 2019. Matt has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® as "Ones to Watch" in Transportation Law since 2022.
He is a member of the American Bar Association, Mississippi Bar Association, and Ole Miss Alumni Association, among others. Matt and his wife Erin, a Special Assistant Attorney General in the Mississippi Attorney General's Office, attend First Presbyterian Church of Jackson with their son, Matthew III.
- Mississippi, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Tax Court, 2014
- Tribal Court of Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, 2019
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi
- J.D. - 2013
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.A. - 2008
- American Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Jackson Young Lawyers Association
Classes & Seminars
- “What To Do Once You Get Assigned A Trucking File,” (On-Demand) LawPracticeCLE, July 2022